Normally, the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) may charge you a fee for a copy of your credit report. However, an amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires each of the CRAs to provide you with a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months.
- Visit AnnualCreditReport.com, or
- Request your free credit report by phone by calling 1.877.322.8228. Deaf and hard of hearing consumers can access the TTY service by calling 711 and referring the Relay Operator to 1.800.821.7232.
To request your free credit report by mail, please complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form(PDF document) and mail it to:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
PO Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
Answers to frequently asked questions about AnnualCreditReport.com are also available.
Other Times You Are Eligible for a Free Credit Report
You may also request a free copy of your credit report in some other circumstances. Visit website about access to free credit reports from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for this information. Or, call the FTC and speak to a representative for assistance. You may call them at 1.877.FTC.HELP (1.877.382.4357) or 1.202.326.2222. TTY users may call 1.866.653.4261.
Changes to Advertising for “Free Credit Reports”
As of April 2, 2010, advertising for free credit reports require new disclosures to help consumers avoid confusing free offers– which often require consumers to spend money on credit monitoring or other products or services– with the free credit reports available at AnnualCreditReport.com. For more information, please visit the FTC news release concerning the amendment to the Free Credit Reports Rule.
Filing a Complaint
If any of the CRAs denies your request for a free credit report:
- Contact that CRA directly to try and resolve the issue. The CRA should inform you of the reason they denied the request and explain what to do next. Often, you will only need to provide information that was missing or incorrect on your application for a free credit report.
- If you are unable to resolve the dispute with the CRA, file a complaint with the FTC by calling 1.877.FTC.HELP (1.877.382.4357) or 1.202.326.2222. TTY users may call 1.866.653.4261.
- Disputing an Error on a Credit Report
- Length of Time Negative Items Stay on a Credit Report
- Credit Scores
- Money Matters
Please note: To view and print PDF documents, you must use the Adobe Reader software, which is available for download without charge.
- Is AnnualCreditReport.com a Scam? (bargaineering.com)
- Get Your Credit Answers: Get a copy of your free credit report (whatiscreditrepair.wordpress.com)